- 1 cup orzo
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 medium bell pepper
- 1 large carrot
- 1 ear fresh corn
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 10-12 cherry tomatoes
- 2-3 sprigs fresh basil
- 1-2 Tbs. olive oil
- salt and pepper
- goat cheese or parmesan cheese (optional)
- Organic chicken sausage, salmon, or another protein (optional)
- Begin by slicing the zucchini, carrot, and mushrooms into thin slices. Chop the bell pepper as well. Shuck the corn, and holding it over a cutting board or plate, slice off the kernals from all sides of the ear of corn.
- Begin boiling a medium-size pot of water over high heat. Add a pinch of salt if desired.
- While the water is boiling, begin sautéing the vegetables over medium heat. Using about 1 Tbs. of olive oil, sauté the zucchini, bell pepper, and carrots. Add the corn and mushrooms after 5 minutes.
- Once the water is boiling, add the orzo and cook for 8-9 minutes, depending on desired texture.
- While the orzo is boiling, continue to stir the vegetables. When the vegetables are softened and start to brown, they can be taken off the heat.
- If you have time here, chop the tomatoes in half, and chop the basil leaves into smaller pieces (This can also be done at the end).
- When the orzo is cooked through, drain the water and place the orzo in a large bowl.
- Add the sautéed vegetables, tomatoes, basil, 1 Tbs. olive oil, and some crumbled goat cheese or parmesan. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
This salad can be enjoyed hot or cold. I enjoyed it with salmon burgers and avocado. You could also add some organic chicken sausage, or any other form of protein that sounds delicious to you!