Recipe Time: 45 minutes
Squash and Chickpeas:
- 1 acorn squash
- 1 small, yellow onion
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary, or 1 tsp. dried
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds (optional)
- olive oil
- 2-3 Tbs. tahini
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 clove garlic
- Water to thin
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425. Cut the squash in half, scoop out the seeds, and rub the inside with a drizzle of olive oil. Place the two halves face down on a baking sheet, and cook in the oven for about 30-40 minutes, or until a fork easily pokes through the skin.
- While the squash is roasting, thinly slice the onion and slowly caramelize in a pan over medium-low heat. Add about a tsp. of olive oil to the pan.
- Once the onions become translucent and limp, add the drained chickpeas, rosemary, and garlic. Raise the heat to medium and cook until the chickpeas look slightly browned and toasted.
- While the onions and chickpeas are cooking, put all of the sauce ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. I added about 2 Tbs. of water at first, and kept adding a little at a time until the sauce was a consistency that I liked. It should be thin enough to easily drizzle over the squash.
- Once the squash is done and cooled slightly, cut into quarters. Top each quarter with the chickpea mixture, some pumpkin seeds, and a drizzle of the sauce. I added some arugula as well. Enjoy this as a main dish or side!