Sid and I are coming up on our two year anniversary next week! We’ve been married for almost two years, but we’ve only been in our own place together for about 7 months. We’ve lived with other people, lived in a van, and now we are finally settled in our own little apartment. I wouldn’t trade the experiences we had in our first 1.5 years of marriage, but I must say it is SO nice being able to create a little home and invite people in :) We actually feel like a married couple now! We’re finding our rhythm and having a ton of fun living together. I mean, we finally even created a budget so that we can start saving for some bigger dreams. Better late than never, right?
Part of our budget is minimizing the amount of money we spend eating out (obviously), so I’ve been batch cooking lunches for Sid so that he doesn’t have to buy lunch during his work day. Some of the meals I like to make are curry, a pasta dish of some sort, soup, wraps, and chicken salad. I decided to try something new last week and made chicken burgers!
They are juicy, tender, and oh so versatile :)
We grilled them on the back deck and they smelled AMAZING. The sun was setting, birds chirping, smoke coming off the grill, and it felt like one of the first true glimpses of summer.
We ate the chicken burgers, well, in burger form. Sid had his on fresh, homemade sourdough as a bun, and I chose to eat mine on a butter lettuce wrap. You could also use them on salads or in a bowl with rice, roasted veggies, and sauce. The flavor of the burgers isn’t super strong, so you could easily add something like bbq sauce or chipotle sauce to make them even more flavorful. Just keep them in the fridge during the week, or store them in the freezer.
Ali Beck | June 12, 2019
- prep time: 10 min.
- cook time: 10 min.
- total time: 20 min.
- 1 lb. organic ground chicken (or turkey)
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/4 c. fresh herbs, chopped (I like basil & parsley)
- 1/2 tsp. salt & pepper
- Wash and very finely chop the onion, mushrooms, and fresh herbs.
- Combine the ground chicken, chopped vegetables and herbs, and spices in a mixing bowl. Mix with a large wooden spoon or your hands until well combined.
- Divide the mixture into four separate patties and flatten each patty to be 1/4-1/2 inch thick.
- Barbecue on the grill for 5-7 minutes each side, or cook in a cast iron skillet on the stove for 10-12 minutes each side.